List of topics for 2007 Alaska field
Make sure someone has not already chosen your
topic, and let me know when you decide so that I can post that
this topic has been taken.
- glacial retreats in Alaska.
- Good Friday earthquake - Janet Pol.
- permafrost in Alaska - Brandon Weihs
- John Muir's travels to Alaska from a geologic
- Denali fault
- glacial outwash in Alaska - Jeff Carritt
- Redoubt volcano - Lou O'Shaughnessy
- Augustine volcano
- Chugach terrane - Nicholas Valentour
- placer gold in Alaska
- gold mineralization in Alaska.
- Matanuska glacier. Russell Gast
- history of glaciation in Alaska.
- Cantwell Formation, Denali area.
- Wrangellia (another terrane). Alleece
- Barentia, migrations and biogeography - Rebecca
Some quick suggestions for your presentation:
- Remember that the other students in the class
are your audience (not the professors). Explain terms and concepts
that they might not be familiar with.
- Discuss the phenomena in general, but also
discuss its specific manifestation in the south-central Alaska
area. For example, for the topic of turbidites - explain what
turbidites are in general, but also discuss their occurrence
in the field trip area (Formation names, thickness, types, ages,
- A zoom in, zoom out organization for your
presentation can work well. Introduce the topic in general terms
first, and then get more and more specific, but at the end finish
up by talking about the general significance of the topic.
- Do not read it from a written script - experience
indicates these presentations don't go well. Index card as cues
can work very well though.
- Handouts of supporting visuals are often
Don't hesitate to get feedback or input from
us for your presentations.