Current lineations in the Orella
Member of the Brule Formation at Toadstool Geologic Park - Summer
This is a suggested report outline - you can
and should adapt it, reorganize, revise it.
- What is the larger project this report is
a part of?
- Where is Toadstool?
- Why might the current lineations be of interest?
Previous work and background:
- What stratigraphic unit and position are
the current lineations found in?
- What are current lineations and how and under
what conditions do they form?
- What have other researchers learned about
the paleogeography and paleocurrent patterns of the White River
- How, when and by whom was the data collected?
- How has the data been plotted, analyzed?
Are there any preferred directions of current
lineations, and what are they? An associated questions is how
far does the pattern deviate from a random pattern?
Is there any pattern to the variability in
When viewed as a map pattern is there any
pattern to the current lineations (e.g. some areas with one preferred
direction, and others with another)?
- How do any preferred directions compare in
orientation to the paleocurrent and paleogeographic data of previous
workers? What might be explanations for any differences?
- How do any preferred directions compare to
the preferred directions of other features (large and small)
in the area, and is a causal relationship between the two plausible?
- How could the pattern be interpreted in terms
of channel sinuosity, and river dynamics?
- What work could be done in the future to
- What are the three to four main points the
reader should take away with them?
- illustrative photo of current lineations.
- map showing distribution of current lineations.
- rose diagram (histogram) of orientations
of current lineations.