Summary history of the long lived Billefjorden
From oldest to youngest these are distinct kinematic phases
thought to have occured along the Billefjorden lineament.
- Caledonian terrane boundary
- Caledonian sinistral strike-slip fault associated with
escape tectonics (Lyberis & Manby, 1999)
- Early Devonian normal fault and basin margin (?) (Lyberis
and Manby, 1999)
- Devonian thrust fault and contractional zone (Lamar &
- Carboniferous normal fault associated with Billefjorden
- Minor Tertiary contractional reactivation and development
of hanging wall syncline (McCann and Dallmann, 1996).
- Minor Tertiary extension (McCann and Dallmann, 1996).
Return to Billefjorden index/intro page.