Environmental geology lecture outline - Landfills
and solid waste disposal.
Environmental concerns associated with solid waste disposal:
- Heflinger Park as a small scale local example.
- potential groundwater contamination.
- compaction and subsidence.
- methane generation.
- smell and wind-blown garbage during operation.
- subsequent land use?
Factors in site selection (related to other site selection):
- social and economic factors?
- scientific factors?
- use of GIS.
- geotechnical investigations.
Need for landfills, and Thomas Sowell's commentary
- multiple barrier design
- leachate capture
- methane energy generation
Waste reduction programs: recycling, composting.
Return to index page for environmental
geology course. Return to homepage
of H. D. Maher Jr..