Discussion contributions for Physical Geology Course
In addition to in-class exercises you can accumulate points towards the participation portion of your final grade
by making contributions to posted class discussion forums using Blackboard (let me know if you have any trouble finding it).
There are two types of contributions:
You can contribute a question.
You must submit the question to me first (email will work). If I choose to post this question for others in the class to respond to you will get one point.
Considerations as to which questions will be choosen are:
- pertinence/relevance to the course and audience: e.g.
questions that focus on local geoscience would have greater relevance
for us, while a question on why we have tornadoes would not be
pertinent to this particular geology course.
- originality: its needs to be different from questions
previously posted or those found in your study guide materials.
- appropriate scope: e.g. why do we have climate change
is to big of a question to handle in the forum.
- clarity: what is being asked needs to be clear.
- engagingment: it needs to engage the reader, be potentially interesting to a fair number of people. This of course is a judgement call.
You can answer/respond to a forum question
and receive a point. These will be posted on
the Blackboard site as forums that will be open for discussion
for a week or two at a time. You will need to respond within that
time. You can build on or counter a response that has been posted.
Considerations in awarding points are:
- novelty: the response needs to be dissimilar to those
already posted in the forum, contributing new information or
thought to the forum. This means it pays to get your thoughts
- pertinence: you need to address the question and not
tangential or unrelated aspects (although the latter could lead
to contributing a question).
- background research: your contribution should show
evidence of some investigation into relevant literature. You
need to cite your sources. One can be your text. The web is an
easy source of other information, but remember the nature of
the quality of information on the web.
- clarity of expression: as it says.
- bonus points will be given for true, constructive, originality.
If you have any questions or want any feedback about this don't
hesitate to contact me.