Answers to -> Week 3: Parting
the continents - continental rifting.
are the responsible mechanisms for lithospheric attenuation?
- by ductile flowage (yet lithosphere
strong, component 5).
- by lithospheric detachments
(how to detect or image? component 6).
- by lithospheric delamination.
- by elevation of geotherm
and transfer of material from lithosphere to asthenosphere (component
are all factors that determine the chemical composition of a melt?
- mantle source composition:
- mantle heterogeneity vs.
- depleted vs. undepleted mantle
- stratified vs. whole mantle
- degree of partial melting.
- pressure and tempature of
- volatile activity (effects
- fractionation on way up.
- contamination on way up.
What might be factors that determine
the pattern of faulting during continental rifting?
- previous structural weaknesses.
- curvature of crust (will
produce arcuate patterns).
- position of underlying plumes.
- evolving/changing stress
- along srike propagation history
of growing faults.
- rate of extension.
- interpretative style.
Course materials for Plate Tectonics, GEOL
3700, University of Nebraska at Omaha. Instructor: H. D. Maher
Jr., copyright. This material may be used for non-profit educational
purposes with appropriate attribution of authorship. Otherwise
please contact author.