Home Page of M. Peri Cope
This is a picture of me.
This is a picture of my wife, Laurel.
So who am I?
I am currently a graduate student in the Department of Geography at the University of Hawaii. In addition to school, I am also working part time as a graduate assistant doing GIS and stats work for the Department of Urban and Regional Planning. Here are some more specific factoids about me:
- Full Name: Marvin Peri Cope
- Born: Brigham City, Utah
- Age: 27 years old
- Height: 6 feet (at least that's what it says on my driver's license)
- Weight: 250 (...at leasts that's what it says on my driver's license)
- Wife's Full Name: Laurel Puanani Bacon Cope
- Where She Was Born: Milford, Utah
- How Long Have We Been Married: 5 years
- How Many Children: None, yet
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus phone: (808) 956-8465
I graduated from Box Elder High School (Brigham City, Utah) in 1986. After graduation, I attended Brigham Young University for a year and a half, then I transferred to Weber State University in Odgen, Utah where I completed my Bachelor's degree in Geography in June of 1993. The main focus of my course work was on Geographic Information Sytems and Remote Sensing Technologies.
I hope to complete my Master's degree here at UHM by June of 1996. My emphasis is again GIS, although I am also taking some geomorphology classes which I find very interesting. I have not yet chosen a thesis topic, but I am anticipating a project involving the use of GIS to create transportation planning models (which will coincide with the work I am doing for my assistantship).
When I am finished with this degree (the M.A.), I would like to go on and get a PhD and one day obtain a professorship, but since I don't have time to worry about that right now, I am keeping my options open for the time being. Do you have a job for me?
Hobbies and Interests:
I have many intestests and hobbies, including the following:
- Travel -
- I really enjoy travelling. In addition to growing up in Utah, I have had the privilege to live in Germany (Detmold), Brazil (São Paulo), and now Hawaii. I hope to continue to visit and see the world as time and resources permit.
- Music -
- I love just about any kind of music. Laurel and I recently bought an electic piano and she is teaching me how to play it. I am also trying to learn to play the guitar and the ukelele. I have found that playing musical instruments can be very relaxing.
- Fish -
- I like fish. I love looking at and swimming among fish. I really enjoy snorkelling over here in Hawaii, especially at Hanauma Bay. I hope to become scuba certified in the next year. Also, someday when we can afford our own home, I want to start a fish pond and try my skills at aquaculture.
- Art -
- Although I am not really a very good artist, I love to paint, draw, sculpt, and dabble in all other forms of artwork.
- Videography/Filmaking -
- I have always enjoyed working with film and video. We just bought a camcorder and I hope to put it to a lot of good use. One day, I would like to be able to make documenary films as an avocation.
- Languages -
- I love to learn new languages. I am fairly fluent in Portuguese and have also studied some Spanish, French, Italian, German, Hebrew, and others. I hope to learn many more.
- Amateur Radio -
- I also have a general class amateur radio license (WH6YT).
- Water sports, hiking, cycling, reading, cooking, gardening, computers, etc...
Other Interesting Facts About Me:
Many people are curious to know if we are Mormons since we come from Utah. Well, the answer to that question is yes. Laurel and I were both raised in Mormon families and continue to practice this religion today. We were married to each other in the St. George temple. I served a two year mission for our church in Brazil from 1987 to 1989. The proper name of our religion is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but its members are often called "Mormons" in reference to the Book of Mormon, which is one of our books of scripture (along with the Bible and others).
Well, that's about it. I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by!
M. Peri Cope (email@example.com)