GEOG 3530 Study Sheet
do we acquire information for a mental map?
is the significance of the PDF map of Africa that I showed from the
the early history of maps and the Internet.
the difference in map presentation between simple client/server maps and
associated with the right and left side of the brain.
was longitude ultimately determined?
does geocoding of street addresses work?
- In the formula for scaling the digital
map, why are xmin and ymin added to the scaled values? What is the addition of these constants
- What are some advantages of
object-oriented graphics for the production of maps?
- What is the distinction between
server/client and P2P?
the way Google Maps downloads maps, why is it now impossible to count the
number of maps distributed through the Internet?
- What is the distinction between a thin
and thick client, and how is a client made "thicker."
- What plug-ins are most useful for the distribution of maps?
graphic file format is most commonly used for the distribution of maps?
- How many colors can be represented with
- Describe some characteristics of the
following vector formats: PDF, SVG, Flash.
would a 20" by 30" map that is scanned at 10,000 dots/inch
produce a file of 180 GB?
- What is InkScape?
- What does "accessibility"
mean for web pages and online maps?
- What is the primary benefit of XML?
- What is the difference between GML and
Systems and Map Projections
two major attributes of a globe can some map projections preserve?
any map projection depict distance correctly?
projections can be classified based on the developable surface, and the
resulting attributes. Explain these two classification methods.
the graticule for the following projections:
Mercator, Sinusoidal, Mollweide, and Robinson
is the Tissot Indicatrix?
are the normal, transverse and oblique perspectives for the Mercator
many zones in UTM? What is the false origin?
measurement unit is used with State Plane?
is the State Plane false origin defined?
are townships numbered in the USPLS?
is the size of a township and section?
many sections in a township?
many acres would the following designation be: NW 1/4, SW 1/4, NE 1/4?
1. Two points are 5.7Ó apart on a 1:24000 map. What
is the ground distance in miles and KM?
2. Two points are 5.7Ó apart on a 1:24,000
map. On another map, they are 4.4Ó
apart. What is the scale of this
3. A field measure 5.7Ó by 4.4Ó on a 1:24,000
map. What is the area in square
miles and square KM?
4. A lake measures 560 full cells and 1048 partial
cells with 1/8Ó grid paper. Given that the map has a scale of 1:50,000, what is
the area of the lake?